Hello and welcome back to my blog! Today I wanted to share a recipe that I have fallen in love with… Dairy Free Apple Butter Cookies with cinnamon and vanilla icing. They are delicious, easy to make and so fun to tweak to fit your taste buds. Keep on reading for the recipe.
There’s something about the shorter and cooler days of late fall and early winter that just make me want to bake. I know i’m not alone with this feeling seeing as there are thousands of recipes for fall and holiday sweet treats. For this recipe, I knew that I wanted to create cookies that gave me that essence of fall while also being dairy free. Why dairy free? I am trying to switch up how eat because dairy inflames my eczema. I have been drinking oat and almond milk for years and within the last six months have switched to a vegan butter.
Whatever it may be for you, whether its preference of just trying something new, I hope that you enjoy making these super yummy and easy cookies!
Dairy Free Apple Butter Cookies with Cinnamon and Vanilla Icing Recipe
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of dry ginger
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of vegan butter, slightly softened
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp of apple butter. I used Manischewitz apple butter, super tasty and made without added sugar
Additionally, 1 tbsp of white sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon sugar, mixed together to roll the dough in before putting the cookies in the oven.
- Prepare one baking sheet with either wax paper or spray.
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until sugar is completely incorporated. Next add in the vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Next add in the egg and the apple butter. The dough might look a bit runny at this point, but it will thicken up with the addition of the dry ingredients.
- Now, sift in the flower, salt and baking soda. Mix together with a wooden spatula.
- Once the dry ingredients are completely incorporated, cover bowl and let sit in the fridge for 45 mins. This is a crucial step in the process, try not to skip!
- After letting dough sit for 45 mins, pull out bowl from fridge and scoop tablespoon size globs of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 11 minutes in a 375F. Let cool on tray for one minute then moving to cooling rack and let cool for at least 20 minutes if you want to frost them.
Optional Vanilla and Cinnamon Icing
The vanilla and cinnamon icing is optional, but it does go very well with the apple taste of the cookies.
Combine with a mixer 1/4 cup of vegan butter, 1 cup of icing sugar, 1 tbsp of milk of choice, 1 tbsp of vanilla extract and 1 tsp of cinnamon, dry ginger and allspice. Mix until it yields the consistency you desire. I went for a icing as opposed to a buttercream frosting, so I added more milk, but if you reduced the milk and/or added more icing sugar, you could achieve a buttercream frosting.
If you don’t enjoy the taste of ginger or allspice (in the icing), replace the spices or completely omit them. I also think that the cookies or the icing might be good with the addition of nutmeg. Let me know in the comments if you have tried making them with any changes, i would love to hear about it!
Thanks for stopping by and I hope that you enjoy this recipe! Drop a link to your most recent blog post, I’ll give it a read!
Follow me on Pinterest for more recipes :).
One thought on “Dairy Free Apple Butter Cookies With Vanilla And Cinnamon Icing”